Feb 28, 2016

the sick people


Later, Levi invited Jesus and his disciples to his home as dinner guests, along with many tax collectors and other disreputable sinners. (There were many people of this kind among Jesus’ followers.) But when the teachers of religious law who were Pharisees saw him eating with tax collectors and other sinners, they asked his disciples, “Why does he eat with such scum?”

When Jesus heard this, he told them, “Healthy people don’t need a doctor—sick people do. I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners.”
- Mark 2:15-17


And in two verses, everything I love about Jesus is summed up.
If this were an instagram post I'd have to hashtag it; #dropthemic.

Let's get something clear.
Jesus was a radical badass. He was The MAN. Speaking to the ones everyone else shunned. Healing those that everyone else had forgotten.
He crossed every societal boundary and snubbed every stance of pretension.
He was the ultimate rebel of love.
Jesus took zero craps from anyone pretending to be greater than what they were; extending instead, endless love and bottomless mercy to those the "holy" deemed undeserving.
Jesus was not impressed by the exterior show of purity.
His bullshit detector was on point.
And when he said to love your neighbor, he showed us how. Jesus would have treated everyone with the same hand if they had let him. It's baffling to think the ones that took his hand were the adulterers, the cheaters, the liars, the oppressed, the poor, the cast-out, and the lepers.

I can only assume it is because they knew, just as I know, the last sentence in the verses above, is their truth.

"...but those who know they are sinners."


They knew exactly who they were,
what they lacked,
and their indescribable need for HIM.
Nothing else would satisfy.
All else had been tasted and the soul was left,
wanting.

But we all know. Don't we? When we really get to the push and the shove and the let go of it?
We all know.

I am far, far, far, from anything close to resembling Jesus. The more I get to know HIM, the more I want to hide.
And yet, I also want to run.
To Him
As fast as I can, arms out, hair flying, mouth panting,
JesusJesusJesus.
I want him to swoop me up.
I want him to rain all over me.
I want his light to break apart all the pieces of my dark.
I want his love to pour in and flow out.
I want people to see Him; see Him in me.
I want it to give them hope.
Just like it gave me hope, when I saw Him, for the very first time.

I cannot say it enough.
Oh how he loves. Oh how he loves. Oh how he loves.
Us.

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment