Feb 27, 2016

It was a wedding morning

I couldn't believe it when he walked away from me. I inhaled deeply on my smoke and tried to calm down. My emotions jumped around like fleas on a rabid animal. It was hot, right here in the Econo Lodge parking lot. I thought of one thing (flowers), then another (where's my flat iron?), mentally making a list (tissues, cell phone, lip gloss)- don't forget (the flowers!). Remember that(sand).

I took another drag and focused on the blue sky, avoiding leaning on my car, covered in country dust.
I should have smoked hours earlier.
A break was a good idea.
But there wasn't time. There still wasn't. Not really. But if I didn't have this right now, I was going to lose it. I just wanted quiet. For three minutes.
Quiet.
And I desperately needed a hug. The sureness and strength of his arms. That would settle my nerves.

God knows my frantic panic prayers of "help me, sweet Jesus" weren't working.

I glanced behind me and he was still gone.

Dropping the butt to the ground, I stubbed it haphazardly with my toe and grabbed my phone, forcefully pecking out an adolescent text to my struggling husband, with my newly nailed finger.

thanks a lot. you're awesome.

Which, on that day, loosely translated to, "Where. The. Hell. Are. You. Going?"

He came back to me, his eyes frazzled and distracted, looking at my arms full of bouquets, a dress, and a box of converse; and he asked, in a calm I wished I felt, "What can I do?"

The unruffled mother/wife I had envisioned I would be this day, delegating tasks with a generous,sunny smile and a dollop of rainbows, while I walked in serenity through the ceremony chairs, praying , had evaporated about two hours before.
It became painfully obvious to me I had watched way too many Jennifer Lopez movies in the past week.
And I was almost as unholy as Satan himself.

A really great wife would have just answered the question. What could he do?

I wish I could tell you I was a really great wife. I really do.

I did the exact opposite.

Worse than the opposite.

I completely lost my shit.
I stood at the bottom of the concrete stairs, in the hotel parking lot, exposed in the sun and the rawness of my frustration, and I unraveled like a ball of worn-out yarn in the hands of an experienced cat.

Obscenities punctuated obscenities which then turned into questions with obscenities, and ended in declarations and more obscenities.
Clearly, "fuck" had become my favorite word.

When I finally stopped and looked up, a grandmother stood on the stairs, eyes full of understanding and a little bit of pity.
Awkward.
I was caught in a moment rarely seen outside the safety of my own home and my husband's forgiveness.

I wish I could tell you I felt really bad about it.
But I didn't. I felt relief.
I kind of wished I had done it sooner.

He still didn't get it.Not quite. I am guessing all my cursing gave him the hint something was a little off, but he still wasn't sure about the particulars.

And so he asked again.

"Babe. What can I do?"

And then I couldn't speak. The words tumbled through my throat and got stuck with tears. My mouth was quiet but my head screamed.

Do? Do!
I don't want you to do anything. I just want you to be.
Be with me.
Stand next to me.
Let's watch her together.
Our daughter is getting married today.
Can we stop doing for ten minutes and savor it?

Do you get it?
Do you understand?
I'm never going to see her like this again.
I'll never get this day, this moment, that smile, her laugh, the teasing, a glass of champagne from a pink bottle, the flitter of all her friends as they come in and out of her room, in various stages of bridesmaid dress.
This is it .
This is it and I have already missed so much.
I've been gone all morning, making decisions; where to put this and what about that? Can we add something here, take away from there?
Arranging and answering and conversing with people I don't know and may not ever see again.
All I want to do is sit and watch. For just a moment.
Sit.
and watch.
Her.

All the while, her hair is being brushed, curled, sprayed.
Her makeup has been swept across her face, eyeliner penciled on, mascara brushed to her lashes.
I've missed it.
Did she laugh the whole time? Did her eyes light up? Did she get a nervous giggle? Did she and her bridesmaid make a toast? Did she have help putting on her garter belt?
Don't you understand?
She doesn't look like my little girl anymore.
She already looks like someone else,
a bride,
an almost wife,
and I missed it.

Do?
I don't want you to do anything. I want you to be.
Be with me.

I thought of my own wedding day and how terrified I was.

My own mom was not there. She never saw me get giddy in nervousness and laugh with my bridesmaids. She doesn't know we ate donuts that morning. She doesn't know one of my maid-of-honors had to hike up her skirt and readjust her undergarments on the front porch during pictures so the photographer went ahead and snapped that too. She doesn't know my favorite Latina applied my make up while joking about boobs and sex and men, while punctuating every joke with a high-pitched laugh and a "right, Shannon? Right?!" She wasn't there when I got out of the car and made my way to hide in the bedroom. She wasn't there when I walked out with my dad, who was trying so hard not to cry himself, and instead said low, "Let's do this" as we stepped out to Etta James. She wasn't there to see my bridesmaids get too drunk to make a coherent speech and swat at bees.
And she wasn't there to soothe my feelings when my new family made hushed, pointed comments about people "already leaving."
My mom missed it all.

The empty spot of my mother remains.

I will always hold it. It doesn't matter that she's with me now. It doesn't count that I am able to call her today and catch up or meet her for coffee and a walk. Precious times, every single one, but it doesn't make her magically appear in all the other parts.
She will be forever missing from those memories.

And I knew I would be missing from not just some of Bre's, but also some of my own, in order to help create others. In being absent, I was giving her my own gift.

A wedding of her dreams. A wedding to remember.
And it was!
It was perfect and beautiful and lovely.

But standing in the hotel parking lot, with the sun beating down on my head, and an armful of bouquets, and a husband torn between staying at my side and going back to his parents, I did not know yet that was going to happen.
I only knew I needed him and I needed to be with her.
Just be.
For a small moment.

Do? I don't want you to do anything. I don't have a list. There's nothing to be fixed.

Take my hand.
Let's walk up the stairs. Let's sit in the room that's exploded in clothes and makeup and champagne.
Let's watch her with her friends. Let's capture the finishing touches.
Let's be.
Jeff grabbed the flowers. He kissed my forehead.
And that's exactly what we did.

XO

3 comments:

  1. I love your words. You write in a way that speaks to me. I often feel this way in my marriage. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete