Feb 19, 2016

Orchids and Calle Lillies

I have mercifully discovered Pinterest can turn the average mama into a florist, a caterer, an entertainer, and a wedding coordinator.
Well, Pinterest, You Tube, Hobby Lobby, and about five million dollars.

I finished my daughter's bridal bouquet yesterday morning at 7am. My bed had become the most comfy of craft centers; tape, ribbon, scissors, pliers, pins, wire, with a side table of coffee and an ipad of Friends. When I put the final pin in place, I held up the bouquet in some kind of fanatical awe. I basically felt like I had managed world peace all on my own.
Or at least avoided the mother-lode of melt-downs.
Until I saw the ONE flower.
Again.
This flower ya'll.
I have battled it for three days.
Three.
No matter where I placed it or how I bent it, it would fit into place, a perfect match with all the other flowers, and two minutes later, it would twist again, just enough to be obviously different.
Just enough to drive me crazy.

In my last post I talked about the pressure of wanting to make everything perfect in this wedding, which is so laughable because how does anyone who is imperfect (and oh the list of imperfections!) create something perfect? Exactly.

Have you ever made a bouquet?
Until now, me either. I am not crafty. I do not have an "eye" for these things. My gift is to rely on my talented friends, which unfortunately, was not an option this time around.
For better or for worse, I was on my own.
So I did what anyone this decade would do and I You Tube'd it.

Each video I watched, showed to gather three flowers at a time, then tape. Three more, then tape. Add another three, and then tape some more. This is what keeps the flowers in place and enables you to add to the bouquet without all the flowers slipping through your fingers and onto the floor. It helps it hold its shape.

My problem flower was somewhere at the beginning. I couldn't take it out unless I wanted to start over.
For the fourth time.

I stared at this flower; eyes narrowed, contemplating how I could rip the bloom out and be done with it. Make like the Queen of Hearts and, "Off with her head!"

Instead, I kept going. I was so close. My adhesive covered fingers ached for the finish.
Maybe if I taped enough, if I added more flowers, if I squeezed it tighter, it would be forced to stay in its place.


My chest is tight and I am fighting back tears,
right this second,
as I type.

I am on the couch, slippered feet crossed on the ottoman, headphones on listening to Coldplay, pillow on my lap, computer on top of pillow, and about 45 minutes ago, I told my family, "I've got to write."
Typically when I write, I hide out in my room, hunkered down for at least an hour with the door closed.
But my in-laws are sleeping in my room; hence the headphones on the couch so I can block out my son, who is watching Dragon BallZ, and my husband who is working from the yoga mat laid out on the floor in front of me, (my daughter called him an oxymoron for doing this and I just about died laughing), and my daughter who is doing her make-up while watching something ridiculous from her ipad.

I knew I had to write. I could feel it in my fingers, the push of words, but honestly ya'll, I had something completely different in mind.

Something about the rehearsal and how I tried not to cry from this joy I have never felt before.
Something about motherhood and how for the first time in a long time, I am standing at a precipice of complete unknowns and my emotions are tumbling around inside me like a dryer full of exploding rainbows.
Something about the dinner I hosted at my home last night for the wedding party and all the family,and it was nerve-wracking and incredibly perfect at the same time.
Something like that.
Nothing about bouquets.

But you know, the heart lets out what wants to be free, what wants to be known.

In a beautiful bouquet of orchids and calle lillies, all perfectly aligned and in place, there is just one.
One that will not conform.
One that will not be adapt.
One that will not be twisted and turned and molded and plied, into something it is not.
It will not look right when it wants to look left.
It will not bend when it wants to stand straight.

It will not look like the others. It will be what it is.
And nothing I do will change it.

And now I am still trying not to cry because my mother-in-law is up and talking to Jeff and I'm still in my headphones,
writingwritingwriting,
and I don't want her to look at me weird and think I am weird, but honestly, I am caring less with each letter that gets punched out.

I should be more like that flower.
We all should.
And it is so fitting that it is my daughter's bouquet, her wedding bouquet. It is so fitting that it is her.

She is in the service. She knows all about conformity and adapting and doing what she is told.

And she does what is required of her. This is her job, her actions.

But her spirit, all the stuff inside of her that beats and moves and loves,
it does not bend when she'd rather stand straight,
it does not look right if she wants to look left,
it is not twisted and turned and molded and plied, into something she is not.

She is as brave as this flower.
Simply by being what she is and refusing all she is not.

I want to be this brave too.

XO

2 comments:

  1. Oh Shannon. You have such a way with words, with parenting, with friendship. I, too, am that one flower and you love me anyway. That says so much about you. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too. You are one of my favorite people. XO

      Delete